Categories and criteria
Printing categories will be judged on reproduction, degree of difficulty and print quality. Entries must have been produced in the 12 months prior to 7 July 2023. An international panel of judges will assess each entry submitted.
- Entries must have been produced by the printing company entering the awards.
- No previous winning job may be re-entered from the same or different company.
- All entries must be produced in the 12 months prior to 7 July 2023.
- Entries are for commercial work undertaken by the printing company entering the awards, except promotional print and innovation categories.
- Whitmar Publications reserves the right to use any entries received for marketing and promotional purposes in its magazines and on its website.
- Entrants must have obtained the permission of their customer before entering the competition.
- Whitmar Publications cannot accept responsibility for entries submitted.
- The decision of the judges is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Entries received after the deadline will be subject to a flat £50 late fee.
- Entries may be moved to a different category at the discretion of the judges.
- By entering you agree to all technical information being published on the website and in the magazine.
- All printed samples must be unconverted, of full press width and include at least three repeat lengths, except corrugated samples where one sheet is sufficient. This should include control strips and registration marks. With the exception of labels and corrugated post-print, cut-outs will NOT be considered by the judges.
- The printing company’s contact details should be submitted with the entry if it is being entered on their behalf.
- Labels (process)
Using process primary inks to create colour shades (CMYK, EGP and similar)
- Labels (line and tone)
Using spot colours to print line-works and halftones. Halftone overprints should be limited to a maximum of three colours
- Flexible packaging (narrow/medium web) on film
- Flexible packaging (wide web) on film
- Flexible packaging (narrow/medium web) on paper
- Flexible packaging (wide web) on paper
- UV Flexo on paper or board
The use of UV inks (including UV-LED ink) on paper or board substrates
- Corrugated post-print (A, B, C and D flute)
Post-print flexo on corrugated board with A, B, C of D fluting
- Corrugated post-print (E and F flute)
Post-print flexo on corrugated board with E or F fluting
- Best use of hybrid printing
Using flexo as the main printing process but using different processes to give the print additional qualities or attributes
- Process colours only
Using just CMYK with or without a white or a varnish
- Originally printed by another process
Any flexo job which was originally printed by a different process (a print sample of the previous printing process must be included)
- Digital labels and packaging
Any packaging or labels which have been printed with digital printing technology only
- Best use of embellishment
Using embossing, foiling or any other embellishments to make visually stunning results on packaging or labels
- Environmentally sustainable company of the year
Print companies that can demonstrate their commitment to the environment by implementing policies which reduce waste, emissions or carbon footprint. This could be achieved with investment in infrastructure or management of consumable materials. Entrants should submit a 500 word report which outlines how they meet the criteria of this category, as well as any supporting documents which will help the judges make their assessment.
- Best newcomer
For companies which have not entered the awards before, or in the last five years. (You will need to have entered another category to be eligible)
- Best use of ECG
The best example of using an extended colour gamut print production (fixed palette production). Entries should demonstrate: A) How using ECG has removed the use of all spot colours B) Two or more jobs batched together in the same print run using the same ECG colour set.
- Promotional print
Flexo print produced to showcase the abilities of a printer. (Must be submitted by the printer and can NOT be a commercial job).
- Innovation - not eligible for suppliers
Innovations that you, as a flexo printer/converter, have developed and implemented (with or without a partner) for your customers in the 12 months prior to 7 July 2023 - this could be innovations in design, reprographics, production, finishing/converting, ink formulation, materials development, sustainability or other aspects of the service you, as a flexo printer/converter offer to your customers. Judges will favour entries that demonstrate clear evidence of new ideas, new technologies and breakthrough service provision by the entering company that show measureable value for its customers. NOT eligible for suppliers.