Categories and criteria
Printing categories will be judged on reproduction, degree of difficulty and print quality. Entries must have been produced in the 12 months prior to 9 July 2021. An international panel of judges will assess each entry submitted.
- Entries must have been produced by the printing company entering the awards.
- No previous winning job may be re-entered from the same or different company.
- All entries must be produced in the 12 months prior to 9 July 2021.
- Entries are for commercial work undertaken by the printing company entering the awards, except promotional print and innovation categories.
- Whitmar Publications reserves the right to use any entries received for marketing and promotional purposes in its magazines and on its website.
- Entrants must have obtained the permission of their customer before entering the competition.
- Whitmar Publications cannot accept responsibility for entries submitted.
- The decision of the judges is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Entries received after the deadline will be subject to a flat £50 late fee.
- Entries may be moved to a different category at the discretion of the judges.
- By entering you agree to all technical information being published on the website and in the magazine.
- Labels (process)
Using process primary inks to create colour shades (CMYK, EGP and similar)
- Labels (line and tone)
Using spot colours to print line-works and halftones. Halftone overprints should be limited to a maximum of three colours
- Flexible packaging (narrow web)
Flexible packaging <600mm wide
- Flexible packaging (medium web)
Flexible packaging 600-1000mm wide
- Flexible packaging (wide web)
Flexible packaging > 1000mm wide
- UV ink on paper or board
The use of UV inks (including UV-LED ink) on paper or board substrates
- Corrugated post-print (A, B, C and D flute)
Post-print flexo on corrugated board with A, B, C of D fluting
- Corrugated post-print (E and F flute)
Post-print flexo on corrugated board with E or F fluting
- Best use of hybrid printing
Using flexo as the main printing process but using different processes to give the print additional qualities or attributes
- Process colours only
Using just CMYK with or without a white or a varnish
- Originally printed by another process
Any flexo job which was originally printed by a different process (a print sample of the previous printing process must be included)
- Best use of embellishments
Using embossing, foiling or any other embellishments to make visually stunning results on packaging or labels
- Digital labels and packaging
Any packaging or labels which have been printed with digital printing technology
- Environmentally sustainable company of the year
Print companies that can demonstrate their commitment to the environment by implementing policies which reduce waste, emissions or carbon footprint. This could be achieved with investment in infrastructure or choice and management of consumable materials. Entrants should submit a 500 word report which outlines how they meet the criteria of this category, as well as any supporting documents which will help the judges make their assessment.
- Promotional print
Flexo print produced to showcase the abilities of a printer. (Must be submitted by the printer and can NOT be a commercial job)
New products and services for the flexographic industry which have been launched and are commercially available in the 12 months prior to 10 July 2020. Not eligible for printers Please submit sufficient documentation to explain the innovation entry in detail to the judges.